Friday, January 2, 2009

The Terminator


First off, Happy New Year everyone. All right, let's get down to business...

The new phrase is Terminator. A Terminator is a type of person that, when in social settings, constantly terminates conversations. I don't know if they do this deliberately, but my suspicion is it's subconscious and the side-effect of poor social graces. Now, I'm no master of the segue, but I can keep a conversation going and hopefully interesting. A Terminator can really kill a conversation, but usually there is someone to offset their impact on a group conversation. When you are faced with a Terminator alone, you better be John Connor and start running. Here is a classic example

Person A: "I read an article that said if you cook only with foods from the outside areas of a grocery store, you'll eat better."
Terminator: "I don't cook."

Another classic Terminator line is, "That's funny." However, the usage of this is important. If people are laughing when that is said, it is OK and you don't have a terminator on your hands. If they say, "That's funny" and look at you with a listless stare, you have a Terminator in your midst.

There is only one way to deal with Terminators, and that is to pull that microchip out of their head and destroy, oh wait... that is the other Terminator. For this type of Terminator, you'll have two choices:

1) Engage them. This means asking about their job, their family, their outfit, and boring stuff like the weather. It may break them down, or just get you through the conversation.
2) Run. Smile, nod, move on to another individual to whom you'd like to converse with.

1 comment:

Capt. BS said...

Other common terminator scenarios:

Person A: "Dude, have you seen that dance-fail YouTube video?"
Person B: "Yeah, that was awesome! She totally ate it."
Terminator: [interrupting] "I don't like YouTube."

Person A: "You know, it's interesting how oblivious people are. Today I saw this guy adjusting his balls as he was being introduced."
Person B: "Right before the handshake?"
Person A: "Yeah!"
Terminator: "Yeah, my ex-girlfriend used to yell at me for doing what. She was such a bitch. I can't believe she just broke up with me... again!"

Person A: "Hey man, nice watch. Where'd you get it?"
Person B: "From my father... it was a college graduation present."
Terminator: "My father's dead."