Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Wedding Planning


As some of you may know, I am engaged to be wed to the loverly Sarina Chhay on 9/5/2009. As such, we have already started the rigorous planning of our wedding. Sarina and I want it to be bad ass, so we are going full-bore on the planning process.


After our most recent vendor visit to Mimosa Floral, I realized this is a really fun process - at least for most vendors. With the florists, you have these people who are shooting out ideas, showing you different flowers, and you get to have them make you something from scratch! When do you really get to do that any other time? With the linens and decor, you get a chance to really make a cool room design. Sarina is gifted at this and has been putting in the work (in dispassionate amount) to get our ideas (her ideas) solidified and monetized.


Now, the thorn in our side thus far has been "entertainment" or DJs. For some reason that "industry" draws the biggest tools on the planet. Almost every single one has a receding hairline and a goatee. None of them strike me as cool, about 90% comment on their ability to "read the crowd" and "get everyone on the dance floor." These guys don't want your play lists, want to be able to interact with the guests and get on the dance floor, and want to be the center of attention. I'm not even the bride and that pisses me off! No other vendor sees themselves in this light, it is ridiculous. However, I think we've found some that can take direction, play our music, and stay off the mic and away from our guests. In a wedding of 60 people, the last thing I was is some stranger in a bad tux harassing my grandmother.


I'm sure there will be more on the wedding on this blog, but all in all it has been fun so far! Check out the web page Sarina made for the wedding.




Word!

1 comment:

Capt. BS said...

I'm all for writing a quick utility that will combine Microsoft Agent, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and iTunes into the ultimate DJ. What this means in non-geekspeak is that the MS Word Paperclip will be running through your iTunes playlists, skipping around as necessary depending on whether it hears your guests saying, "Man, this sucks" or "Oh I LOVE this song!"